Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Let's Talk About Felt

Not felting, mind you. Felt. Have you shopped for felt lately? I have, and let me tell you, most of the fabric out there masquerading as felt is not really felt at all. By which I mean it isn't made from 100% wool. Most fabric labeled "felt" is only 35% wool and 65% Rayon. And what's in Rayon? I mean, seriously, what is rayon? According to the wise old internet, rayon is "manmade textile fibers and filaments composed of regenerated cellulose." Huh?

I was super-excited to find filzfelt on etsy. Filzfelt imports 100% wool felt from Germany in about a million gorgeous colors. They sell it by the yard, but also make placemats, coasters, table runners, floor mats and pillows from it. 

I ordered a set of coasters in Olive just so I could get up close and personal with the felt before laying out a lot of money and they are just lovely. Very thick and soft and really saturated with color. Can one fall in love with coasters? I think I'm living proof.

I covet the floor mats.  And the placemats. And I am dreaming of a skirt made from the yardage.

Check 'em out on etsy or at their beautifully designed website.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, real wool felt ...

Anonymous said...

Pretty.....
What are you going to make Susan?

Turtle said...

yeah, so called "felt" in craft stores is pretty scary! will have to go look at this other site!!

Susan said...

What I would really like is a vest made from felt. I have a polar fleece vest that I love because it keeps my core warm, but I feel like I should be representing more by wearing wool.