Thursday, December 11, 2008

Hay: It's what's for dinner.

As I mentioned here, we have been receiving many request from non-knitters who want to support MVFF/HVFF but aren't interested in joining the CSA. Most of the request come from loyal blog readers who've been following the goings on around the farm and want to be a part of it, but there are also an awful lot of animal-lovers who just believe in what we are doing and want to insure the viability of our business. 

My first response to requests to help was "Really?" followed quickly by "Why?".  But then I took some time to really think about it and it makes total sense to me. The desire to be a part of something bigger than ourselves, to accomplish as a group what we couldn't manage on our own, is the most natural thing in the world. 

With that in mind, Patrick and I decided that we wanted to make supporting our farm something that everyone can do, no matter their financial situation. And we especially didn't want to be off-putting to our shareholders. That's when we hit on the idea of sponsoring a bale of hay.

Hay bales are currently costing us $6.50 a piece. Not bad right? Except that we go through hay like nobody's business around here! 10 sheep (or goats) eat a bale of hay per day which means we are feeding 7 bales a day ($45.50), 49 bales a week ($318), 196 bales a month ($1274). And that's just the hay! We also feed a grain ration twice a day.

The need to find quality hay at a price that won't bankrupt us has taken over a good portion of my waking hours and some of my non-waking ones. The other night I dreamed that I was laying in the hay feeder and the goats were eating my hair and my clothes! 

If you're interested in sponsoring a bale, a day, a week or a month's worth of hay please know that your contribution will be put to use right away! And to thank you we will be acknowledging out sponsors right here on the blog. 

We'd also like to thank anyone who donates a day or more of hay with a MVFF 2009 Calendar. Weekly sponsors will receive a Calendar and a beautiful needle-felted sheep or angora goat ornament for your holiday tree.

Just shoot me an email if you would like to become a hay sponsor: susangibbs1 AT mac DOT com.

A couple of you have asked if it would be possible to sponsor a specific sheep or goat- i.e. cover the cost of feed, hay and vet bills for a year. What a lovely idea! Please contact me [susangibbs1 AT mac DOT com] if this is something you are interested in .

No comments: